2021. július 30., péntek

Livy North: The Sunrise Effect – értékelés | The Sunrise Effect by Livy North – review


! PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR ENGLISH !
 
The Sunrise Effect | Könyvprofil
Megjelenés ideje: 2021. május 31.
Oldalak száma: 341
Fülszöveg:
Sawyer
It  ​was supposed to be smooth sailing—an all-expense paid trip to Europe with my best friends, getting stash for my resume. Then I was met with a semi-naked guy in my hotel room and an awkward, “Who are you?” Yeah, the committee responsible for the trip had mistaken me for a guy, leaving me stuck with the obnoxious football player for the next six weeks. Even worse, he’s actually kind of charming… and funny… and did I mention, hot?
There were all sorts of reasons why falling for Graham Carter was a bad idea. Here’s to all the reasons why I fell anyway.
 
Graham
It was going to be the summer of my life—drinks, fun, exploring, and no-strings-attached relations. Then I’m suddenly paired up with the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen and I’m like, thank you, universe. But she makes it painfully clear that we’re just friends and she’s not interested in me besides being my partner on paper.
Sawyer likes her rules and boundaries. I, on the other hand, am a rulebreaker. And I intend to spend the summer showing her just how fun breaking the rules really can be.
 
***
This is a 85k standalone, friends-to-lovers, fun, light, witty book. Perfect for summer.
 
 
You’re my sun, and I’m your moon. And like their bond is eternal, so is ours. So are we.
 
Mielőtt még belekezdenék az értékelésbe: IMÁDLAK GRAHAM.
Köszönöm a figyelmet.
 
Livy North The Sunrise Effect című alkotása már számtalan alkalommal szembejött velem a különböző közösségi média felületeken, rengetegen, akik már olvasták ezt a regényt, azt állították, hogy ez az egyik legaranyosabb könyv, amit valaha is olvastak. Nos, miután már én is a végére értem Sawyer és Graham  történetének, ezzel az állítással én is egyet tudok érteni.
A The Sunrise Effect egy humorral megfűszerezett könnyed kis romantikus olvasmány, ami tökéletes szórakozást nyújthat mindenkinek, főleg az ilyen forró nyári napokon. A szemeim olvasás közben szinte a lapokhoz ragadtak, egy másodpercre sem voltam képes letenni, és ez egészen addig tartott, amíg a főszereplők össze nem jönnek, aztán... Aztán valahogy elvesztettem ezt az izgatottságomat. A regényben ettől függetlenül még bőven voltak nagyon jó jelenetek, ezzel szimplán csak azt szerettem volna mondani, hogy személy szerint én a könyv első felét sokkal jobban élveztem, mint a másodikat.
 
“Hey, I’m like five-four or something. Besides, your fragile masculinity would hate it if I were as tall as you. What are you? Six foot?”
“Six foot and half an inch,” he corrects with a confident nod.
I stare blankly at him. “Mm-hmm, that half an inch really bothered you, huh?”
“Yep.”
 
Viszont mielőtt még belemerülnék abba, hogy mi nyerte el a tetszésemet, és mi nem, szeretném nektek néhány szóban a lehető legspoilermentesebben felvázolni a történet alaphelyzetét.
A The Sunrise Effect főhősnője Sawyer Nixon, aki két barátnőjével együtt abba a szerencsés helyzetbe került, hogy részt vehetnek egy nyolc hetes európai utazáson, amely során különböző országok történelmének alaposabb megismerésére lesz lehetőségük. Sawyer a kis baráti társaságuk csendesebb és visszahúzódóbb tagja, jobban szeret a komfort zónáján belül maradni, viszont ezen ez az utazás gyorsan változtat.
A lányok Londonba való érkezése nem éppen megy a leggördülékenyebben, és itt még koránt sincs vége az izgalmaknak, főleg Sawyer számára. A hosszú utazás után semmire sem vágyik jobban egy jó kiadós alvásnál, azonban a számára kijelölt szobában egy igencsak váratlan meglepetéssel kell szembenéznie.
A történet férfi főszereplője Graham Carter, aki egy egyetemi sportoló, és Sawyer-hez hasonlóan neki is lehetősége nyílt részt venni ezen a nyári történelmi utazáson. Első látásra azt gondolná az ember, hogy ő az a tipikus szoknyavadász srác, viszont ez egyáltalán nem így van. Graham nagyon meglepődött, amikor megtudta, hogy részt vehet ezen az európai túrán, hiszen elmondása szerint nem rendelkezik jó jegyekkel, de ennek is megvan a maga oka.
Sawyer és Graham első találkozására elég meglepő, de annál szórakoztatóbb módon kerül sor. Ha kíváncsiak vagytok arra, hogyan is alakul kettejük kapcsolata, olvassátok el Livy North The Sunrise Effect című regényét.

ami tetszett a regényben:
 
a borítók
Kezdjük ezekkel a listát, hiszen mind az eredeti, mind pedig az alternatív változata a borítónak hihetetlen mértékben elnyerte a tetszésemet, mind a kettő elképesztően csodálatosra sikeredett.
 


a cselekmény
Részt venni egy 8 hétig tartó európai utazáson, meglátogatni számos lenyűgöző helyet, megismerni új kultúrákat és a történelmét az adott országoknak, és a lehetőség új baráti kapcsolatok kialakítására? Engem nem kellene kétszer kérdezni, simán igent mondanék egy ilyen lehetőségre. 
Szerintem egy igazi telitalálat volt ez az ötlet Livy részéről, Sawyer és Graham első találkozása rendkívül szórakoztatóra sikeredett, személy szerint én még nem olvastam olyan könyvet, ami hasonló szituációval indult volna be, szóval igazán üdítő volt olvasni.

Graham
Ó, te jó ég, Graham szó szerint A legaranyosabb,  legodaadóbb, és legszerethetőbb könyves karakter, akiról valaha is olvashattam. De most komolyan, több írónak kellene olyasmi srácokról írnia, mint Graham. Elképesztően könnyen meg lehet imádni ezt a srácot, engem a könyv elejétől a legeslegutolsó szóig sikerült elvarázsolnia.

I’m smiling like an idiot and I lean down to kiss her.
“What was that for?” she asks, cocking her head at me and smiling.
“For being you.”
 
Sawyer & Graham kapcsolata
Hatalmas köszönet Livy North-nak, hogy nem tette egy olyan első látásra szerelemmé Sawyer és Graham történetét. Annyira nagyszerűen lett megírva a kettejük kapcsolata, semmibe sem ugranak bele túl gyorsan, igyekeznek minnél jobban megismerni egymást, először egy zseniális barátság alakul ki közöttük, ami szépen lassan valami még többé és gyönyörűbbé alakul át. Ennek az átmenetnek a kivitelezése szerintem nagyon jól meg lett oldva, szóval emelem kalapom az írónő előtt.

“I love listening to the waves. It’s my... third favorite sound,” I say smiling up at him.
He smiles back and raises an eyebrow. “What’s in second and first?”
“Your laughter and your heartbeat.”
 
Sawyer és Graham a legjobbat hozzák ki egymásból, Sawyer miatt Graham képes egy kicsit lelassítani, és értékelni és kiélvezni az élet apróbb szépségeit, Graham pedig megmutatja neki, hogy bizony neki is van egy bátrabb, kalandvágyóbb oldala, és hogy néha a komfort zónából való kitöréssel rengeteg boldog pillanattal lehet gazdagabb az életünk. Ketten együtt megtanulják kiélvezni az élet minden pillanatát.

“See how much fun you get to have with me.”
“I think you mean trouble.”
“Same thing, sun, same thing. Just like... love and you. It’s the same thing.”
 
 
Graham & Max
Max Graham legfiatalabb öccse, és szavakkal szinte ki sem lehet fejezni, hogy milyen csodás a kettejük testvéri kapcsolata.  Max ugyan nem kap nagy szerepet a regényben, de Graham-mel van pár nagyon megható jelenetük, és ezeket én mind, egytől-egyig annyira nagyon imádtam.

a mellékszereplők
Én kifejezetten nagyon szeretek baráti körökről olvasni. A The Sunrise Effect-ben hat fiatal nagyon gyorsan szoros baráti kapcsolatot alakítanak ki egymással, és én ennek minden egyes pillanatát hatalmas élvezettel olvastam. Rendkívül szórakoztató, ahogy egymást ugratják, számtalan alkalommal sikerült mosolyt csalniuk az arcomra. ! SPOILER ! SPOILER ! SPOILER ! A legkedvencebb jeleneteim közé tartozik az, amikor filmes estét tartanak a hotelben, és amikor együtt fociznak. ! VÉGE A SPOILER RÉSZLEGNEK !
Bízom benne, hogy az írónő úgy dönt majd, hogy megírja Aidan és Avery történetét is, én nagyon kíváncsi lennék rá, és szívesen elolvasnám.
 
I love her like the moon loves the sun. Because the moon can never shine without the sun.
 
ami nem tetszett a regényben:

Sawyer
Véleményem szerint, Sawyer egy sokkal szerethetőbb karakter a történet első felében, mint a másodikban. ! SPOILER ! SPOILER ! SPOILER ! Miután egy párt alkot Graham-mel, és főleg miután szakít vele, egy kicsit nehezebbnek találtam azt, hogy igazán szeressem őt.
És kérlek mondja azt valaki, hogy nem csak én találtam Sawyer menstruációs jeleneteit nagyon idegesítőnek. Én teljesen megértem, hogy ezek nem a legjobb napok, átérzem a helyzetét, gyakran én is elég rosszul érzem magam, de amit ez a lány leművelt az már egy kicsit kezdett nagyon idegesítő lenni. Ne értsetek félre, én most nem szeretném alábecsülni az érzéseit, csak azt szeretném mondani, hogy ezekben a fejezetekben túl soknak találtam a viselkedését. Annyira sajnáltam Graham-et, szegény srác mindent megtett volna, csak hogy jobban érezze magát Sawyer, de a lány csak egyre idegesítőbb és idegesítőbb lett.  ! VÉGE A SPOILER RÉSZLEGNEK !

a karakterek múltjainak ábrázolása
Sawyer-nek és Graham-nek is van múltbéli traumája, amelyek nagy hatással voltak az életükre, és nekem olyan érzésem volt olvasás közben, hogy az írónő nem szánt elég időt ezeknek a kifejtésére. Ami Graham-mel történt, arról nem sokszor lehet romantikus regényekben olvasni (vagy legalábbis én nem emlékszem, hogy olyan könyvet olvastam volna, amiben ez is meg van említve), szóval annak örülök, hogy Livy North egy ilyen témát is beleillesztett ebbe a történetbe, viszont annak jobban örültem volna, ha egy kicsit több időt szán ezekre a traumákra, ha a karakterek egy kicsit többet beszélhettek volna azokról a dolgokról, ami miatt számos területen bizonytalannak érzik magukat; én úgy érzem, hogy így a szereplők személyisége egy kicsit több mélységet is kaphatott volna.

az időbeli ugrások
Ahhoz kétség sem fér, hogy én nem rajongok az időbeli ugrásokért. Őszintén megmondva, én csak akkor szeretem ezeket, amikor például egy könyv epilógusában van egy nagyobb ugrás, és így olvashatunk arról, hogyan alakult kedvenc karaktereink élete.
Én azt teljesen megértem, hogy a The Sunrise Effect írónője nem írhatott részletesen az utazás minden egyes napjáról, viszont sajnos rengeteg esemény kihagyása mellett döntött, amelyek szerintem kifejezetten szórakoztatóak és érdekesek is lehettek volna. A számos kihagyás több, hosszabb leíró részt eredményezett, amelyeket gyakran unalmasnak találtam. Ha csak egy kicsivel kevesebb időbeli ugrás lett volna benne, akkor valószínű, hogy a karaktereket is jobban megismerhettük volna. Az utolsó pár fejezetben csak még több ilyen kihagyás-mesélés van, minden probléma nagyon gyorsan meg lett oldva, ami miatt egy kicsit elsietettnek tűnt számomra a befejezés.

! SPOILER ! SPOILER ! SPOILER ! a szakítás
Igen, van egy szakítós jelenet is a kötetben, és ha engem kérdeztek, szerintem teljesen fölösleges volt ezt is beleilleszteni. Nem tetszett, és még most sem tetszik a szakításnak az oka, ennek csak az lett a vége, hogy a karakterek szükségtelenül szenvednek, és ezt annyira könnyen el lehetett volna kerülni. Annyira utáltam ezeket a fejezeteket, már alig vártam, hogy végre kibéküljenek. Rendkívül bosszantónak találtam a helyzetet, ekkor jött el az a pont, amikor ténylegesen elgondolkoztam azon, hogy most nekem félbe kellene hagynom ennek a regénynek az olvasását. Viszont örülök, hogy végül nem így döntöttem, mert akkor megannyi édes jelenetről maradtam volna le. ! VÉGE A SPOILER RÉSZLEGNEK !

a szerelmi vallomások
Én tényleg nagyon imádom Sawyer és Graham párosát, nagyon sok imádnivaló, megható, és gyönyörűséges szerelmi vallomásos jelenet van ebben a könyvben, viszont a történet vége felé egy kicsit már sok volt a jóból, szerintem sokszor egy picit erőltetettnek is hangzottak.

“You’re my sunshine, my sunset, and everything in between. I want my days to begin and end with you.” (...) “You’re my sun. My everything. My life revolves around you now.”
 
Mindent figyelembe véve, Livy North The Sunrise Effect című alkotása egy könnyed kis nyári olvasmány. Ha egy barátságból-szerelem témájú könyvet keresel, akkor szerintem megéri ennek is adni egy esélyt. 
Értékelés: 3 csillag
 
The Sunrise Effect | Goodreads
 
The Sunrise Effect | Moly
 
The Sunrise Effect | Beszerzéshez szükséges link
 
Livy North | Elérhetőségek
The Sunrise Effect | Book profile
Publishing date: May 31st, 2021
Number of pages: 341
Blurb:
Sawyer
It was supposed to be smooth sailing—an all-expense paid trip to Europe with my best friends, getting stash for my resume. Then I was met with a semi-naked guy in my hotel room and an awkward, “Who are you?” Yeah, the committee responsible for the trip had mistaken me for a guy, leaving me stuck with the obnoxious football player for the next six weeks. Even worse, he’s actually kind of charming… and funny… and did I mention, hot?
There were all sorts of reasons why falling for Graham Carter was a bad idea. Here’s to all the reasons why I fell anyway.
 
Graham
It was going to be the summer of my life—drinks, fun, exploring, and no-strings-attached relations. Then I’m suddenly paired up with the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen and I’m like, thank you, universe. But she makes it painfully clear that we’re just friends and she’s not interested in me besides being my partner on paper.
Sawyer likes her rules and boundaries. I, on the other hand, am a rulebreaker. And I intend to spend the summer showing her just how fun breaking the rules really can be.
 
***
This is a 85k standalone, friends-to-lovers, fun, light, witty book. Perfect for summer.
 
 
You’re my sun, and I’m your moon. And like their bond is eternal, so is ours. So are we.
 
Before we start: GRAHAM, I ADORE YOU.
Thank you for your attention.
 
I have seen The Sunrise Effect by Livy North on many social media platforms, readers claimed that it was one of the cutest books ever, and after reading it I can definitely agree with this statement.
This is a fun, sweet and light novel that gives you all the summer vibes. My eyes were basically glued to the pages up until the point the characters actually get together and become a couple and then... Then, for some reason, that excitement was long lost. The book still had some very enjoyable parts, but I just found the first half a lot more entertaining.
 
“Hey, I’m like five-four or something. Besides, your fragile masculinity would hate it if I were as tall as you. What are you? Six foot?”
“Six foot and half an inch,” he corrects with a confident nod.
I stare blankly at him. “Mm-hmm, that half an inch really bothered you, huh?”
“Yep.”
 
Before I dive into my review and start writing about the things I did and did not like in this novel, I would like to quickly tell you few words (and of course without spoilers) about the baseline situation of the story.
The heroine of The Sunrise Effect is Sawyer Nixon, who along with her two best friends, was lucky enough to be selected to take part in an eight-week European trip, during which they can learn more about the history of different countries of this continent. Sawyer is the quiet and shy one in their small friend group, she likes to stay within her comfort zone, but thanks to the trip, that quickly changes.
The girls’ arrival in London isn’t exactly going smoothly, not to mention the fact that some surprises are still waiting for them, well, especially for Sawyer. After the long flight, she does not want to do anything, just to get a good night’s sleep, but before she could do that, she has to face her new roommate, who is not exactly what she expected.
The hero of this story is Graham Carter, who is a football player at Harvard, and just like Sawyer, he was also selected to go to this eight-week summer trip. When you first meet him, you would think that he is that typical womanizer guy, but that is absolutely not the truth. Graham was really surprised when he found out that he could take part in this trip due to the fact that he does not really have good grades, but there is a reason for that.
Sawyer and Graham’s first encounter is pretty surprising for both of them, but at the same time, it is so entertaining. If you are interested in their story and what happens on that eight-week summer trip, read The Sunrise Effect by Livy North.

things I did like:
 
the covers
Let’s start with those because I am so obsessed with the original and the alternate cover of The Sunrise Effect, they are so incredibly stunning.
 
 
the plot
Going on an 8 week long school trip to Europe, visiting many wonderful places, learning about different cultures and the history of those countries, making new friends? Sign me up.
It is such a great idea for a story, and the first meeting of Sawyer and Graham was just so funny, personally I have never read about a situation like this one, so it was really refreshing.
 
Graham
Oh my goodness, Graham is literally THE cutest, most precious, caring and loveable bookish hero I have ever read about. Seriously, authors need to write more books with guys like him in them. I am so in love with him, I wholeheartedly adored him from the beginning to the end.
 
I’m smiling like an idiot and I lean down to kiss her.
“What was that for?” she asks, cocking her head at me and smiling.
“For being you.”
 
Sawyer & Graham’s relationship
Huge thank you to Livy North for not making their story an insta-love thingy. Sawyer and Graham’s relationship is so well written, I really loved that they do not jump into anything too soon, they become friends first, and than that friendship transforms into something more, and it was so beautifully done.
 
“I love listening to the waves. It’s my... third favorite sound,” I say smiling up at him.
He smiles back and raises an eyebrow. “What’s in second and first?”
“Your laughter and your heartbeat.”
 
Sawyer and Graham bring the best out of each other. Sawyer makes Graham to just slow down and enjoy life, while Graham shows her there are many fun things she can do, he shows her that she has an adventurous side and that breaking out of your comfort zone can lead to so much happiness too. Together, they enjoy life to the fullest.
 
“See how much fun you get to have with me.”
“I think you mean trouble.”
“Same thing, sun, same thing. Just like... love and you. It’s the same thing.”
 
 
Graham & Max
Max is Graham’s little brother, and what a special bond is theirs! Max does not have a huge role in this book, but he and his brother share some very cute moments that are so wonderful and heartwarming.
 
secondary characters
I really like reading about friend groups. In The Sunrise Effect, 6 people quickly become friends, and I loved to read about them. Their banters were so much fun, they made me laugh so many times. ! SPOILER ! SPOILER ! SPOILER ! My biggest favourite scenes were when they host a little movie night at the hotel and when they play football together. ! END OF THE SPOILER SECTION !
I hope the author decides to write a book about Aidan and Avery, I would love to read their story.
 
I love her like the moon loves the sun. Because the moon can never shine without the sun.
 
things I did not really like:
 
Sawyer
In my opinion, Sawyer is a lot more likeable character in the first half of the book. ! SPOILER ! SPOILER ! SPOILER ! After that, especially after she breaks up with Graham most of the time I just found it hard to connect with her.
Also, please someone tell me I am not the only one who really hated those scenes when Sawyer was on her period. I understand that those are not the best days, and often I feel awful too, but geez that girl was really infuriating. Don’t get me wrong, I do not want to shame her or her feelings at all, I just felt that she was a little bit too much. I felt sorry for Graham, poor guy was willing to do basically anything to make her feel better and she was just so annoying. ! END OF THE SPOILER SECTION !
 
the portrayal of the characters’ pasts
Sawyer and Graham both have past traumas that had a huge impact on their lives and I felt that the author did not give enough details about these. What happened with Graham is not really often included in books, so it is great that Livy North included it in this story, I just felt that if they talked about their insecurities a little bit more then these characters could have gotten even more depth.
 
the time jumps
I am definitely not a fan of time jumps. To be honest, I only really like them when an author includes a time jump in the epilogue and we get a little glimpse into the characters’ lives for example like “x years later”.
I understand that the author of The Sunrise Effect could not have written about each and every day of their trip, but she decided to skip so so many events that could have been so interesting and entertaining, and as a result very often I found myself being bored. With less time jumps we could have gotten more scenes in which we could have gotten to know the characters better. In the last few chapters, we get more time jumps, and because of those, everything just felt rushed, everything was solved so quickly.
 
! SPOILER ! SPOILER ! SPOILER ! the break up scene
Yes, there is a break up scene in it, and if you ask me, it was completely unnecessary. I did not and I still do not like the reasoning behind that decision, this just caused so much pain for both characters that could have been easily solved and avoided. I really hated these chapters, I could not wait for this break up to finally end. This whole situation was just so irritating, that was when I really started to think about just dnfing it. However, I kept reading and I kinda glad I did because then I would have missed out on so many sweet scenes. ! END OF THE SPOILER SECTION !
 
love declarations
While I really love Sawyer and Graham as a couple, and they have some pretty cute, beautiful and emotional love declaration scenes, near the end, it just became too much, and sometimes I felt that these were a little bit forced.
 
“You’re my sunshine, my sunset, and everything in between. I want my days to begin and end with you.” (...) “You’re my sun. My everything. My life revolves around you now.”
 
Taking everything into account, The Sunrise Effect by Livy North is a lighthearted summer read. If you are looking for a friends-to-lovers story with low angst level, then I can recommend this book to you.
Final rating: 3 stars
 
The Sunrise Effect | Goodreads
 
The Sunrise Effect | Purchase link
 
Livy North | Author links

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése