2023. február 7., kedd

C.W. Farnsworth: Pretty Ugly Promises – Értékelés | Pretty Ugly Promises by C.W. Farnsworth – Review


! PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR ENGLISH !
 
C.W. Farnsworth: Pretty Ugly Promises | Könyvprofil
Fülszöveg:
When people choose to leave, you should let them.
That’s a lesson Lyla Peterson has learned over and over again. Abandoned more than once, her focus is on ensuring her son never experiences that familiar sting, not on lingering questions from the pain-filled past.
Until the opportunity arises to seek elusive answers and Lyla seizes it, opening old wounds and revealing dangerous secrets.
He chose to leave.
She should have let him.
 
 
A tavalyi év során megfogadtam, hogy igyekszem minél több új írónak esélyt adni, és szerencsére ezt a célkitűzésemet 2022-ben teljesíteni tudtam. Ezen felbuzdulva (de emellett amúgy is nagyon szeretek új írókat felfedezni) pedig idén is folytatni szeretném ezt a jó szokásomat. A 2023-as olvassunk új íróktól kihívásomat én C.W. Farnsworth Pretty Ugly Promises című regényével nyitottam meg, és hát nem tudom azt mondani, hogy új kedvencet avattam. Nem volt rossz, de nem is lesz újraolvasós.
 
Life is an intoxicating mixture of scenarios we can’t control and decisions we make.
Chance and choice.
Predictable und uncontrollable.
I promised myself I’d learn from others’ mistakes.
Promises are easy to make.
Problem is, they’re also easy to break.
 
A történet két főszereplőjének, Lyla Petersonnak és Nikolaj Morozovnak, egyetemi éveik során kereszteződnek útjaik, amikor mindketten ugyanabban a buliban találják magukat. Ők ketten egymás tökéletes ellentétei, mégis amint összeakad a tekintetük, szinte el sem tudnak szakadni a másiktól, a parti végével nem kerül pont kettejük kapcsolatára.
Azonban egy kis idő elteltével két hír fenekestül felborítja az életüket. Mi történt velük? Milyen hatással lesz ez a kapcsolatukra? Megtudhatjátok, ha elolvassátok C.W. Farnsworth Pretty Ugly Promises című alkotását.
 
Because up until I found out I had a son, I was certain you’d be the only person I ever loved.
 
Szerintem ez az egy könyv kevés volt ennyi történéshez. Az írónő stílusával nekem nem volt problémám, bár néha előfordult, hogy átugrottam egy-egy leíró részt, de ez csak annak tudható be, hogy nagyon kíváncsi voltam, mi is fog történni. Szóval ez a kihagyásos olvasás abszolút nem az író hibája, hanem én döntöttem így.
Viszont én nem éreztem a két főszereplő között lévő kötődést. Szerintem sokkal jobb lett volna, ha Nick és Lyla történetét két kötetre bontja az írónő. ! SPOILER VESZÉLY ! Az első kötetben jobban megismerhettünk volna őket és azt is, hogyan működnek együtt egy párként, és mondjuk azzal lehetett volna vége, hogy Lyla megtudja, hogy terhes, Nicknek pedig haza kell térnie. A második kötet pedig kilenc évvel később vehette volna fel a fonalat. ! VÉGE A SPOILER RÉSZLEGNEK !
A karakterekhez sem sikerült annyira nagyon kötődnöm. Nicket ugyan szimpatikusnak találtam, és imádtam a Leóval eltöltött minden egyes percét, de Lylát nem igazán tudtam megkedvelni. A kötet utolsó harmadáig semleges volt számomra, a róla alkotott véleményem az utolsó pár fejezetben kezdett a pozitív felé elbillenni. Számomra a könyv fénypontja az utolsó két fejezet volt, de nem azért, mert azt éreztem, hogy végre vége, hanem mert szívmelengető volt arról olvasni, hogy ez a három karakter a sok kihívást jelentő tényező leküzdése után végre egy családdá válhatott. Ilyen meghitt pillanatokból több is lehetett volna.
A mellékszereplőkre sem volt így sok idő, pedig én úgy gondolom, hogy rengeteg potenciál rejlik bennük. Személy szerint Alexre és Romanre lennék a legjobban kíváncsi, bízom benne, hogy a jövőben még bővebben is olvashatunk majd róluk. Nagyon szorítok, hogy így legyen!
 
“I know it’s not how you expected to become a mother.”
(…)
“But if I could have chosen anyone to have a kid with, it will always be you.”
 
Mindent figyelembe véve, C.W. Farnsworth Pretty Ugly Promises című alkotása nem volt rossz, de nem volt kiemelkedően jó sem. Tényleg hiszem, hogy ha egy picit hosszabb lett volna Nick és Lyla története, most nem ilyen vegyes érzelmekkel zárnám ezt az értékelést. Ettől eltekintve, ha szeretitek az olyan dark romance regényeket, akkor érdemes adni neki egy esélyt.
Értékelés: 3 csillag
 

Pretty Ugly Promises by C.W. Farnsworth | Book profile
Blurb:
When people choose to leave, you should let them.
That’s a lesson Lyla Peterson has learned over and over again. Abandoned more than once, her focus is on ensuring her son never experiences that familiar sting, not on lingering questions from the pain-filled past.
Until the opportunity arises to seek elusive answers and Lyla seizes it, opening old wounds and revealing dangerous secrets.
He chose to leave.
She should have let him.
 

 
Last year, one of my reading resolutions was to read more from authors who were totally new to me. Fortunately, if we are talking about this goal of mine, it was a pretty successful year. For that reason, and because I love discovering new authors, I decided to add this to my reading resolutions for the year of 2023 too. The first addition to my read more books from new-to-me authors challenge was Pretty Ugly Promises by C.W. Farnsworth and well, I can not really say that it is my new favourite book. It was not bad, but I would not reread it.
 
Life is an intoxicating mixture of scenarios we can’t control and decisions we make.
Chance and choice.
Predictable und uncontrollable.
I promised myself I’d learn from others’ mistakes.
Promises are easy to make.
Problem is, they’re also easy to break.
 
The main characters of Pretty Ugly Promises are Lyla Peterson and Nikolaj Morozov. Their paths cross during their college years when they end up in the same party. They are opposite of each other, but regardless of this, as soon as their eyes lock, they just can not look away. Their story does not end when they leave the party.
Unfortunately, two pieces of news turn their lives upside down. What happens with them? How these affect their relationship? You can find out if you decide to read Pretty Ugly Promises by C.W. Farnsworth.
 
Because up until I found out I had a son, I was certain you’d be the only person I ever loved.
 
If you ask me, I think the lenght of this book was not enough for such an action-packed plot. I did not have any problems with the writing style, although sometimes I skimmed a lot of descriptive parts because I really wanted to know what would happen, but that was not the fault of the author, that was entirely my decision.
However, I did not understand the connection between the main characters. In my opinion, the story of Nick and Lyla would have been a lot better if it was a duology. ! SPOILER ALERT ! For example, in the first book, the characters could have been introduced in more detail and we could have read about how they got together, how they started their relationship. It could have ended on Lyla finding out about her pregnancy, and Nick finding out about having to go home. And then, the next book could have picked up the storyline nine years later. ! END OF THE SPOILER SECTION !
I could not really get attached to the characters either. I found Nick pretty likeable, and I wholeheartedly adored every minute he spends with Leo, but it was a lot harder to like Lyla. Until the last third of the story, I did not really like her, but I did not hate her either. That changed in the last few chapters. To me, the best part of this book was the last two chapter, and not because I really could not wait to finish it, but because it was so heartwarming to read about these characters, who went through so many awful things, finally getting their happily ever after. There should have been a lot more scenes like that one.
I feel that there was not enough time for the side characters, and it is just so sad because they had great potential, especially Alex and Roman. I hope we will get their stories too. Fingers super crossed!
 
“I know it’s not how you expected to become a mother.”
(…)
“But if I could have chosen anyone to have a kid with, it will always be you.”
 
Taking everything into account, Pretty Ugly Promises by C.W. Farnsworth is not bad, but not exceptionally good either. I really do believe if the story of Nick and Lyla was even a little bit longer, it could have been a lot better, and then I would not have to end this review with very mixed feelings.
Final rating: 3 stars

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése