2022. július 13., szerda

Monica Murphy: The Reluctant Bride & The Ruthless Groom – Értékelés | The Reluctant Bride & The Ruthless Groom by Monica Murphy – Review


! PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR ENGLISH !

Monica Murphy: Wedded Bliss | Könyvprofil
A trilógia kötetei:
The Reluctant Bride
The Ruthless Groom
The Reckless Union (várható megjelenés: 2022. augusztus 16.)
Fülszöveg – The Reluctant Bride:
One moment I’m the forgotten daughter of one of the most wealthy families in the country, and the next I’m the blushing bride in an arranged marriage. My fate is sealed in my wedded union with a complete stranger.
In public, Perry Constantine is the life of the party. Easygoing. Adored. In private, he’s brooding. Dark. Angry. But so am I. It’s a contest of wills to see who will break in the bedroom first, and while I try to remain strong, I find myself craving the very man I swore to hate.
My husband.
 
 
Megjegyzés: Sajnálatos módon egyik könyvben sem sikerült olyan részre lelnem, ami nagyon elnyerte a tetszésem, és az értékelésemnél elválasztóként szolgálhatna, ezért a bekezdéseket megtörő kis szösszenetek most elmaradnak.

Monica Murphy munkásságával évekkel ezelőtt ismerkedtem meg akkor, amikor elolvastam tőle a Drew+Fable című sorozatát. Nagyon szerettem ezeket a könyveket, tetszett maga a történet és az írónő stílusa is. Legújabb sorozata, a Wedded Bliss, már az első kötetének megjelenésével felkeltette az érdeklődésemet, viszont tudtam, hogy függővéges lesz, ezért úgy voltam vele, hogy még várok az olvasásával. A The Ruthless Groom megjelenése után viszont már nem bírtam tovább várni, annyira kíváncsi voltam erre a történetre, egyszerűen muszáj volt belevetnem magam a sorozat olvasásba.
Eltelt már pár nap azóta, hogy a Wedded Bliss eddig megjelent két kötetének a végére értem, de sajnos azt kell mondanom, hogy még mindig elég vegyes érzések kavarognak bennem Perry és Charlotte történetével kapcsolatban.
 
A Wedded Bliss trilógia alaphelyzete szerintem kifejezetten érdekes. Már hét éve olvasok romantikus regényeket, ezidő alatt jónéhány olyan került a kezeim közé, amelyek az elrendezett házasság témáját helyezik fókuszba, viszont nem emlékszem olyanra, amelyben egyik főszereplő sem akarta a házasság létrejöttét, sőt, nyíltan ki is fejezték a szituációról formált véleményüket. Ennek kifejezetten örültem, bár nagyon szeretek ilyen könyveket olvasni, üdítő volt, hogy az írónő egy ilyen kis csavarral megspékelte Charlotte és Perry történetét.
 
Ha engem kérdeztek, szerintem a második könyvnek nem volt túl nagy jelentősége a történet szempontjából. Telis-tele volt intim fejezetekkel, amelyeket nagyon, de nagyon hamar meguntam, mert hát arra vártam, hogy végre történjen is valami, és ne csak arról olvashassak, hogy éppen mit csinálnak egymással az ágyban. Vágytam valami izgalmasra, arra, hogy végre fény derüljön a titkokra, jobban megismerhessem a karaktereket, de őszintén megmondva, ebben nem nyújtott nagy segítséget a The Ruthless Groom, egyáltalán nem adott sokat a trilógiához.
 
Az sem nyerte el nagyon a tetszésemet, hogy rengeteg belső monológot épített ezekbe a kötetekbe az írónő. Charlotte esetében sokszor csak a párizsi kalandjáról olvashattunk újra és újra és újra és újra. Egy pár gondolat erejéig néha megéri visszatérni egy-egy fontos információmorzsához, de hogy mi értelme volt annak, hogy Charlotte számtalan alkalommal elmesélni, hogy mi is történt Párizsban? Azon kívül, hogy untatott, nem sok.
 
Azt nem éppen mondanám, hogy a Wedded Bliss második kötetében olyan nagy előrehaladásnak lehetnénk szemtanúi Charlotte és Perry kapcsolatának esetében. A fő konfliktust az adja, hogy Perry azt hiszi, Charlotte hívta meg az ex-barátját kettejük esküvőjére, és hiába próbálja meggyőzni a lány, hogy márpedig nem így történt, Perry majdcsak még nem is hajlandó végighallgatni őt. Nyíltan a szemébe mondja, hogy gyűlöli, nem is bízik benne, de azért az intimitásra ő is nyitott… Hát, mondhatjuk, hogy Perry ebben a regényben sem lett a kedvencem.
 
Mindent figyelembe véve, Monica Murphy Wedded Bliss trilógiája egyáltalán nem rossz, de nem is olyan kimagaslóan jó. Azoknak az olvasóknak megéri tenni vele egy próbát, akik szeretnek az elrendezett házasság témájáról olvasni. Viszont attól sajnos nem tudok elvonatkoztatni, hogy a The Ruthless Groom nagyon vontatottnak, és szükségtelenül hosszúnak tűnt. Ha kivennénk belőle azt az irdatlan mennyiségű intim jelenetet, akkor egy duológiában is tökéletesen el lehetne mesélni Charlotte és Perry történetét, és szerintem egyáltalán nem éreznénk azt, hogy ne lenne bőven elég.
Ettől eltekintve biztosan el fogom olvasni a The Reckless Union-t, hiszen a The Ruthless Groom függővége után nagyon kíváncsi vagyok rá, hogyan is fog zárulni a trilógia. Nagyon, de nagyon szorítok, hogy az intim jelenetek ne menjenek a történet kárára, rendkívül sajnálnám, ha ez történne, tényleg rengeteg lehetőség rejlik ebben a sztoriban.
Értékelés:
The Reluctant Bride: 4 csillag
The Ruthless Groom: 2 csillag
 
 
Monica Murphy: Wedded Bliss | Book profile
Books in the trilogy:
The Reluctant Bride
The Ruthless Groom
The Reckless Union (expected publication: August 16th, 2022)
Blurb – The Reluctant Bride:
One moment I’m the forgotten daughter of one of the most wealthy families in the country, and the next I’m the blushing bride in an arranged marriage. My fate is sealed in my wedded union with a complete stranger.
In public, Perry Constantine is the life of the party. Easygoing. Adored. In private, he’s brooding. Dark. Angry. But so am I. It’s a contest of wills to see who will break in the bedroom first, and while I try to remain strong, I find myself craving the very man I swore to hate.
My husband.
 

 
Note: Sadly, while I was reading this book, I did not come across any sections that I really adored and could share as a quote with you, so this review will not have any quotes in it.
 
I have read my very first Monica Murphy book years and years ago, it was titled One-Week Girlfriend, which is the first book in her Drew+Fable series (check it out if you like fake relationship romances). I really liked the story, the characters and her writing style. Her newest trilogy, Wedded Bliss, caught my attention way back when the first book was announced, but I knew it would end on a cliffhanger so I decided to wait and read it later or when we are closer to the release of the final installment of the series. However, after the release of The Ruthless Groom, I simply could not contain my excitement, I just had to start reading this trilogy. 
A few days have passed since I have finished reading The Reluctant Bride and The Ruthless Groom, and I must say that I still have some very mixed feelings about the story of Perry and Charlotte.
 
I found it interesting how the story itself begins. I have been reading romance novels for seven years now, and during this time, I have picked up quite a few books with the arranged marriage trope, but if I remember well, until I started to read The Reluctant Bride, I have never read one in which both main characters are really super against the idea of them getting married, moreover, they even voiced their displeasure with this situation. Although I really love the arranged marriage trope, it was quite refreshing to read that Monica Murphy added this unexpected twist to the story of Charlotte and Perry.
If you ask me, I do think that the second book in this trilogy was quite unnecessary. We do not really get more information about the main characters, instead of that, we get so many intimate scenes. To be completely honest, I got bored of these super qucikly, I just wanted the excitement, I wanted secrets to be revealed and something to happen finally. I did not want to read that much about what they were doing with each other. I do think that The Ruthless Groom did not give much to the overall story of the Wedded Bliss trilogy.
 
What bother me a little is that the author added way too many inner monologues to these novels. In Charlottes case, she is constantly telling us what happened with her ex-lover in Paris. For a few times it can be good to go back to certain important pieces of information, but what is the purpose of telling the same story from the beginning to the end over and over and over again? Besides making readers get bored, not much.
 
I would not say that Charlotte and Perrys relationship progressed a lot in The Ruthless Groom. The main conflict is about Perry thinking that it was Charlotte who invited her ex to their wedding, and he does not even want to listen to her, he just decided for himself that was what happened, end of the story. He says to her that he hates her and does not believe her, but when it comes to intimacy, oh you can bet he does not have any problems with it... Well lets just say that Perry is still not one of my favourite characters.

Taking everything into account, the Wedded Bliss trilogy by Monica Murphy is not bad, but not that good either. If you like arranged marriage themed romances, it is probably worth giving it a try. However, I simply can not disregard the fact that The Ruthless Groom felt super dragged. If we removed those unnecessary intimate scenes, what happens in this book could have been added to The Reluctant Bride, and this trilogy easily could have been a duology, and I do not think that we would feel that the story of Charlotte and Perry was incomplete.
Despite not really liking this book, most probably I will read the third and final installment of this trilogy, mainly because I just need closure and after that cliffhanger, I need to find out what happens next. I really hope that this time the author will focus more on the actual plot and relationships of the characters rather than on the intimate parts, this story has so much potential, it would be sad to see it getting wasted.
Final rating:
The Reluctant Bride: 4 stars
The Ruthless Groom: 2 stars

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése