2023. január 12., csütörtök

Rina Kent: God of Malice – Értékelés | God of Malice by Rina Kent – Review

 
! PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR ENGLISH !
 
Rina Kent: God of Malice | Könyvprofil
Sorozat: Legacy of Gods
A sorozat kötetei:
God of Malice (Killian Carson & Glyndon King története)
God of Pain (Creighton King & Annika Volkov történet)
God of Wrath (Jeremy Volkov & Cecily Knight története)
God of Ruin (várható megjelenés: 2023. augusztus 10.)
God of Fury (még nem jelent meg)
God of War (még nem jelent meg)
Fülszöveg:
I caught the attention of a monster.
I didn’t ask for it.
Didn’t even see it coming.
But the moment I do, it’s too late.
Killian Carson is a predator wrapped in sophisticated charm.
He’s cold-blooded, manipulative, and savage.
The worst part is that no one sees his devil side.
I do.
And that will cost me everything.
I run, but the thing about monsters?
They always chase.
 
This book is not a conventional romance and contains themes that arent to everyone’s liking. Please check the author’s note before reading.
 

 
“I’m a King. We aren’t born to be scared of people.”
“Hmm. I like the whole family slogan thing.”
 
Rina Kent munkásságára két évvel ezelőtt figyeltem fel, akkoriban szinte elárasztottak a Cruel King-ről szóló bejegyzések, és mivel annyi jót hallottam róla, bele is vetettem magam. És itt kezdődött a történetei után való nagy rajongásom. A Royal Elite párosai a mai napig a kedvenceim listájának előkelő helyeit tudhatják magukénak, szóval hatalmas boldogsággal töltött el a második generáció sorozatának érkezése.
A megjelenése után majdcsak azonnal sort is kerítettem Glyndon és Killian történetére, és nos, legnagyobb sajnálatomra a nagy lelkesedésem egészen addig tartott, amíg el nem kezdtem olvasni a God of Malice-t. Ezt egyáltalán nem azért mondom, mert valami olyan komoly baj lett volna vele, egyszerűen csak annyira nehéz témával indít, hogy nem volt egyszerű átrágnom magam rajta, és ez abszolút el is vette a kedvem az olvasástól, és félbehagytam. Tudom, tudom, már a fülszövegben is fel van tüntetve, hogy érdemes a direkt erre a célra kialakított figyelmeztető részleget elolvasni, de őszintén megmondva, úgy voltam vele, hogy elég sok dark romance témájú regényt és Rina Kent által megalkotott történetet olvastam már, hogy erre semmi szükségem.
Ahogy teltek-múltak a hetek és a hónapok, néha eszembe jutott, hogy jó lenne már olvasni, hiszen tényleg imádom az írónő történeteit, és semmiképpen sem szerettem volna félbehagyni a God of Malice-t, de ezzel a gondolattal jött az is, hogy milyen jelenettel kezdődik ez a kötet, és szinte azonnal el is vetettem az ötletet. Decemberben nem igazán voltam motivált az olvasásra, leginkább a legnagyobb kedvenceim újraolvasásával töltöttem a napjaimat, és ekkor jutott eszembe, hogy miért is ne folytatnám Killian és Glyndon történetét. Fogalmam sem volt róla, miért véltem úgy, hogy a kvázi kezdődő olvasási válságomra majd egy olyan kötet lesz jó hatással, amelynek az olvasását már hónapok óta halogatom, de végül mégis belevetettem magam. És nem bánom, hogy így döntöttem.
 
Being quiet isn’t sad, Anni. Some of us just… prefer silence.
 
A God of Malice főhősnője Glyndon King, Levi és Astrid King (Cruel King) legfiatalabb gyermeke. Glyndont nem olyan régen hatalmas csapás érte, elvesztette egy barátját, Devlint, aki öngyilkos lett. A lány életét nem csak ez árnyékolja be, más tényezők is nehezebbé teszik számára a mindennapokat.
Így történt az, hogy felkereste azt a helyet, ahol Devlin véget vetett az életének. Nem sok kellett ahhoz, hogy Glyndon is barátja sorsára jusson, azonban szerencsére nem csak őt vonzotta magához azon az estén a szirt, hanem Killian Carsont is (ő Asher Carson és Reina Ellis fiatalabbik fia – róluk bővebben a Lies & Truths duológiában olvashattok), aki megmenti a lányt a mélybe zuhanástól.
És ekkor kezdődik meg az igazi őrület. Hogy pontosan mit is értek ezalatt? Megtudhatjátok, ha elolvassátok Rina Kent Legacy of Gods című sorozatának nyitókötetét, a God of Malice-t.
 
(…) Ava shakes my shoulder, then waves in front of my eyes. “Hi, hello? Are you there? I swear you bitches will be the death of me. One is a mafia princess, the other is suicidal, and this one lags.”
 
Kifejezetten örültem annak, hogy a könyv elejére bekerült egy családfa is, mert őszintén megmondva, elég nagy szükségem volt rá, amíg meg nem szoktam, hogy ki kicsoda, és ki kinek a gyermeke. Sokan vannak, kellett ehhez egy kis idő. :D 
A lányok közt kialakult barátság szerintem a kötet egyik fénypontja, Rinának különleges tehetsége van a lenyűgöző baráti társaságok megalkotásához. Imádom, imádom és még annál is jobban imádom őket, tűkön ülve várom, hogy még többet olvashassak róluk, remélem, hogy a megjelenésre váró kötetekben is hasonlóan nagy szerepet fognak kapni. Nagyon szorítok, hogy így legyen!
Valamiért azt hittem, hogy Ava visszahúzódó, szóval képzelhetitek mennyire meg voltam lepődve, amikor egy szókimondó, egyáltalán nem félénk lányt ismerhettem meg benne. És szerintem sokkal jobb is ez így, annyira imádtam a karakterét, már a Royal Elite Epilogue óta várom az ő történetét, hiszen már elég régóta tudjuk, hogy ő Eli-jal fog egy párt alkotni. A kettejük párosa jelenleg egy hatalmas nagy rejtély számomra, tudni akarom és tudnom kell, hogy miért utálja ennyire Ava Eli-t.
És akkor még szót sem ejtettem a fiúkról. Killiant nekem nem volt könnyű megkedvelnem, és ehhez nagyban hozzájárultak az első néhány fejezetben tett cselekedetei. Ahogy egyre jobban haladtam előre az olvasásban, sikerült jobban megismernem őt, és azt kell mondjam, voltak bőven szerethető pillanatai (de azért voltak olyanok is, amelyeket nem éppen ezzel a jelzővel illetnék). A családjával kapcsolatos helyzete a végére rendkívül szívszorító lett, főleg akkor, amikor szavakba öntötték sérelmeiket. Ezeket a pillanatokat sikerült elég jól megkönnyeznem.
A Royal Elite University csapatból egyértelműen Remi lett a kedvencem, hát ez a srác egyszerűen hihetetlen. Nekem KELL a róla szóló könyv, nem tudtam betelni vele, ő volt az a karakter, akinek az újbóli feltűnését türelmetlenül vártam.
Landon és Nikolai egy kicsit sok volt már most nekem, és még nem is olvastam azokat a könyveket, amelyekben ők lesznek a főszereplők (mármint nem együtt, hanem külön). Ezzel nem azt akarom mondani, hogy nem tetszenek, csupán azt, hogy már most, amikor még csak néhány jelenet erejéig tűntek fel, borzasztóan intenzív, néhol már-már sokkoló élményt nyújtottak.
És most engedjétek meg, hogy szót ejtsek egy párról, akik bearanyozták az egész napomat azzal, hogy feltűntek ebben a regényben: Jonathan és Aurora. Te jó ég, nekem most egy Kingdom Duet újraolvasásra van szükségem. De úgy azonnal.
Negatívumként azt tudnám felhozni, hogy én sejtettem, hogy ! SPOILER VESZÉLY ! Devlin igazából nem halt meg, és valamilyen úton-módon vissza fog térni. ! VÉGE A SPOILER RÉSZLEGNEK ! És igazam is lett. Ez abszolút nem vett el az olvasási élményből, hiszen nem voltam benne teljesen biztos, hogy meg fog történni, csak volt egy olyan megérzésem, hogy erre bizony sor fog kerülni.
 
I love her to the point of fucking madness.
 
Mindent figyelembe véve, még a döcögős indulás ellenére is, nekem Rina Kent God of Malice című alkotása a 2022-es év egyik legfelejthetetlenebb olvasmányává nőtte ki magát. Az írónő hozta a tőle már jól megszokott minőséget, a Legacy of Gods csakúgy rabul ejtett, mint a Royal Elite sorozat. A God of Malice egyértelműen az egyik legjobb dark romance regény, amit valaha olvastam. Bátran merem ajánlani, azoknak, akik szeretik az ilyen történeteket, viszont csak akkor kezdjetek neki, ha szeretitek a sötétebb témákat.
Értékelés: 4,5 csillag
 
Kedvenc idézeteim:
Általában minden egyes értékelésemnél a bekezdéseket elválasztva szoktam beilleszteni a kedvenc idézeteimet, de a God of Malice-ban annyi volt, hogy muszáj egy külön kis részleget szentelnem nekik.
 
You’re the only red in my black-and-white world.
 
“No one is stronger than a King.” He fishes out his phone and enters a number, then puts it on speaker.
My eyes widen when I see Levi on the screen.
“Why are you calling my dad?” I whisper-yell.
Grandpa puts a finger to his lips as my father picks up, sounding groggy. “Uncle? Why are you calling this late? Are you dead?”
“Obviously not,” Grandpa says in his signature hard voice. (…)
“There’s an emergency about your daughter.”
My eyes widen and Dad pauses before he sobers up. “What happened? She was texting me just fine yesterday.”
“Someone broke her heart and we need to break his legs.”
 
“Missed you, Grandpa.”
“Is that why you haven’t returned my calls in the past…two days?”
“Your clinginess is showing, Jonathan.”
 
Killian: You picked war, baby, and I’m here to serve.
 
“Oh, my God,” she breathes out.
“That’s right, your god. Worship at my altar, baby.”
 
“I’ll fight every step of the way.”
“By all means. It’d make the end result sweeter.”
“I hate you.”
“Let me search for the fucks I have to give.” He pretends to study his surroundings. “See? None.”
 
Cole: (…) My Ava is off-limits, too. Do you hear that, Aiden? Let Eli know.
Aiden: You’re so delusional to think you can stop Eli from doing anything. Even I can’t dictate his actions anymore.
Cole: We’ll see about that. Don’t blame me for the violence that will happen when he comes near my daughter.
Ronan: Let me bring the popcorn.
Cole: You, too, Ron. Keep your son away from my Ari.
Ronan: I should be the one to say that, fucker. She’s like a little hellion stalker. Jesus, I’m scared for Remi’s life.
 
 
God of Malice by Rina Kent | Book profile
Series: Legacy of Gods
Books in the series:
God of Malice (the story of Killian Carson & Glyndon King)
God of Pain (the story of Creighton King & Annika Volkov)
God of Wrath (the story of Jeremy Volkov & Cecily Knight)
God of Ruin (expected publication: August 10th, 2023)
God of Fury (not yet released)
God of War (not yet released)
Blurb:
I caught the attention of a monster.
I didn’t ask for it.
Didn’t even see it coming.
But the moment I do, it’s too late.
Killian Carson is a predator wrapped in sophisticated charm.
He’s cold-blooded, manipulative, and savage.
The worst part is that no one sees his devil side.
I do.
And that will cost me everything.
I run, but the thing about monsters?
They always chase.
 
This book is not a conventional romance and contains themes that arent to everyone’s liking. Please check the author’s note before reading.
 
 
“I’m a King. We aren’t born to be scared of people.”
“Hmm. I like the whole family slogan thing.”
 
Books by Rina Kent were brought to my attention about two years ago, I have seen so many people praising Cruel King, and it really made me curious too, so I joined in and read it too. And that was when I became a huge fan of her work. The Royal Elite couples still have a special place in my heart, so I was filled with joy when I found out that she would be publishing the stories of their kids too.
I jumped into the book of Glyndon and Killian basically as soon as it was released, and unfortunately that was when I lost my excitement for God of Malice. And I am not saying this because there was something so wrong with it, my problem was that it starts with a pretty heavy topic and it was extremely difficult for me to get into the mood to read it, and it totally discouraged me, so I put it aside to read later. I know, I know, the author mentions in the blurb to check the trigger warning, but honestly, I thought that I have read so many dark romances and stories written by Rina Kent that I did not really have to do that.
Weeks, and even months, passed by, and I had been thinking about picking it up again because I really do love her stories and marking God of Malice as a did-not-finish had not ever crossed my mind even for a second, but with that thought, the opening scene of this novel swarmed my mind too, so I just dropped this idea real quick.
December was not really my ideal reading month, I was not really in the mood to read, basically I spent most of my time with rereading my favourite books, but one day continuing God of Malice just came to my mind. Why did I think that it would be a good idea to cure my impending reading slump with a book I had been putting off for months? I wish I knew the answer to this question. But I did it. And it was the best decision I made that day.
 
Being quiet isn’t sad, Anni. Some of us just… prefer silence.

The heroine of this story is Glyndon King, the youngest child of Levi and Astrid King (Cruel King). Glyndon is going through an incredibly difficult period, because one of her friends, Devlin, has committed suicide. This loss is not the only thing that overshadows her life, there are many things that make her days a lot darker.
That is how she ends up on that place where her friend took his own life and she almost suffers the same fate as Devlin. However, she is not the only one there that night, Killian Carson (the youngest son of Asher and Reina Carson you can read more about them in the Lies & Truths Duet), felt drawn to that cliff too. And he is the one who saves Glyndon from falling off the cliff.
And that is when the craziness begins. What do I mean by that? Well, you can find out if you decide to give the first intallment of Legacy of Gods, God of Malice, a chance.
 
(…) Ava shakes my shoulder, then waves in front of my eyes. “Hi, hello? Are you there? I swear you bitches will be the death of me. One is a mafia princess, the other is suicidal, and this one lags.”
 
I am so grateful for Rina the family tree into this book, because to be completely honest, I really needed it until I got used to the characters, and memorised their names and who they belong to. There are a lot of characters in this book, so it took some time. :D
I really do think that the friendship between the girls is one of the best parts of this novel, Rina really shines at creating amazing friend groups. I really, really, really wholeheartedly adore them, I am impatiently waiting for more Legacy of Gods book so I can read more about them, I hope that they will have a big role in every installment. Fingers super crossed!
For some reason, I am really not sure why, I thought that Ava was a shy girl, so imagine my surprise when she was introduced in this story and she was bold and not at all timid. And I do think that she is better this way, I adore her character so much. I have been waiting for her story since Royal Elite Epilogue, and because we already know that her love interest is Eli. This couple is super mysterious to me right now, I really want to know, no, I need to know why Ava hates Eli so much.
And oh my, I have not even talked about the boys yet. I found it quite hard to like Killian, but mostly it was due to what he does in the first few chapters. As the story progressed and I read more, I started to get to know him a lot better, and I have to admit, he has some pretty cute moments (do not let that fool you, he still makes some pretty questionable decisions). The situation with his family is pretty heavy near the end of the book, and honestly, it made me shed a lot of tears, especially when everyone shares what is on their mind.
Out of the Royal Elite University characters, Remi is undoubtedly my biggest favourite, my lord, this guy is incredible. I desperately NEED his book, he is definitely a character I wanted to reappear in basically every chapter.
Landon and Nikolai are a little bit too much for me, and I only read a few scenes featuring them, so I can not even imagine what will happen when they will be the main characters in their own books. With that sentence, I am not implying that I do not like them, I am just simply saying that I found them pretty intense, sometimes even shocking.
And now, let me reveal the couple that literally brightened my day by just appearing in this novel: Jonathan and Aurora. My lord, I need a Kingdom Duet reread. Like right now.
The only negative thing I can mention is that ! SPOILER ALERT ! I had a feeling that Devlin is not really dead and he would get into the story somehow. ! END OF THE SPOILER SECTION ! And I was right. This did not ruin the reading experience at all, because I was not like a 100% sure it would happen, but still, I suspected that it would.

I love her to the point of fucking madness.
 
Taking everything into account, despite the bumpy start, God of Malice by Rina Kent turned out to be one of the most unforgettable reads of 2022 to me. It came as no surprise that this author can really write, I found Legacy of Gods just as captivating as Royal Elite. Without a doubt, God of Malice is one of the best dark romances I have ever read. I can honestly recommend it to anyone who loves this trope, but please be aware that it deals with some pretty heavy topics.
Final rating: 4.5 stars

My favourite quotes:
Usually, I add my favourite quotes to my review, but I have highlighted so many scenes in God of Malice, I just had to create a separate section in this post for them.
 
 You’re the only red in my black-and-white world.
 
“No one is stronger than a King.” He fishes out his phone and enters a number, then puts it on speaker.
My eyes widen when I see Levi on the screen.
“Why are you calling my dad?” I whisper-yell.
Grandpa puts a finger to his lips as my father picks up, sounding groggy. “Uncle? Why are you calling this late? Are you dead?”
“Obviously not,” Grandpa says in his signature hard voice. (…)
“There’s an emergency about your daughter.”
My eyes widen and Dad pauses before he sobers up. “What happened? She was texting me just fine yesterday.”
“Someone broke her heart and we need to break his legs.”
 
“Missed you, Grandpa.”
“Is that why you haven’t returned my calls in the past…two days?”
“Your clinginess is showing, Jonathan.”
 
Killian: You picked war, baby, and I’m here to serve.
 
“Oh, my God,” she breathes out.
“That’s right, your god. Worship at my altar, baby.”
 
“I’ll fight every step of the way.”
“By all means. It’d make the end result sweeter.”
“I hate you.”
“Let me search for the fucks I have to give.” He pretends to study his surroundings. “See? None.”
 
Cole: (…) My Ava is off-limits, too. Do you hear that, Aiden? Let Eli know.
Aiden: You’re so delusional to think you can stop Eli from doing anything. Even I can’t dictate his actions anymore.
Cole: We’ll see about that. Don’t blame me for the violence that will happen when he comes near my daughter.
Ronan: Let me bring the popcorn.
Cole: You, too, Ron. Keep your son away from my Ari.
Ronan: I should be the one to say that, fucker. She’s like a little hellion stalker. Jesus, I’m scared for Remi’s life.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése