2022. május 14., szombat

R. S. Grey: Enemies Abroad – Értékelés | Enemies Abroad by R. S. Grey – Review


! PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR ENGLISH !
 
R. S. Grey: Enemies Abroad | Könyvprofil
Megjelenés ideje: 2022. január 20.
Fülszöveg:
It’s  ​simple: Noah Peterson and I are enemies. Our fellow teachers know it, our friends know it — even the Starbucks drive-through lady knows it since every Monday she scrawls the name A. Hole for me on Noah’s cappuccino when I pick up the weekly group order.
The shrill whine of the school bell announces the start of each day’s no-holds-barred grudge match. Since neither of us is looking to get fired or thrown in prison, we war with our words and our wits. We prefer banter that bites. All day, I’m on edge, looking around every corner, expecting him to do his worst. Just when I think I can’t take the sight of his (regretfully) handsome face for one more minute, the school day is done.
Summer usually offers the sweetest relief—a two-month Noah detox—but not this year.
“We need two volunteers to chaperone a group of eighth graders in Rome” becomes a game of chicken neither one of us is willing to lose. We both want that bonus check.
“Back out,” I tell him.
“Scared?” he taunts.
No one thinks it’s a good idea for us to go to Rome together, least of all me. Taking this battle abroad will only lead to mayhem and misery.
DING. Ladies and gentlemen of flight UA447 with service to Rome, fasten your seatbelts.
We’re bound to have a bumpy ride.
 
 
R. S. Grey könnyed, romantikus, humorral megfűszerezett regényeinek már régóta nagy rajongója vagyok, számos alkotása igencsak gyorsan a kedvencemmé vált. Amikor az írónő bejelentette, hogy Enemies Abroad címmel fog megjelenni legújabb könyve, szinte majd kibújtam a bőrömből az izgatottságtól. A fülszöveg minden egyes sorát boldogságtól csillogó szemekkel faltam, és alig vártam, hogy végre a kezeim közé kerüljön ez az igencsak jónak ígérkező történet. Azt tudni kell rólam, hogy én imádom az olyan köteteket, amelyek az ellenségekből-szeretők téma köré épülnek fel, szóval az Enemies Abroad is azonnal landolt a várólistámon.
Majdcsak mindent eldobtam, hogy elkezdhessem olvasni, szinte kicsattantam az örömtől és a lelkesedéstől. Azonban sajnos azt kell mondanom, hogy már nem ilyen nagy boldogan értem Audrey és Noah történetének a végére.
 
“My students love me.”
It’s true.
Noah is only one class over and we share a wall. I hear every time he makes his class laugh.
Still, for a good show, I grunt in disbelief and tilt my head so I can look into his breathtakingly hideous brown eyes.
“They only laugh at your jokes because they feel bad for you.”
“I’m hilarious.”
“You mispronounced annoying.”
 
A történet női főszereplője Audrey Cohen, aki a Lindale felső tagozatosainak az angol tanárnője. Audrey imádja a szakmáját, igyekszik mindent megtenni annak érdekében, hogy a diákjai és munkatársai is kedveljék őt. Imád tervezni és rendezgetni, szereti, ha minden a tervei szerint halad, azonban egy váratlan olaszországi utazás teljesen kirántja őt a komfortzónájából.
Noah Peterson is a Lindale-ben tanít, azonban Audrey-val ellentétben ő a matematika tudását próbálja meg átadni a diákjainak. Ő az a tanár, akit minden egyes diák és tanár szeret. Ezen állítás alól egy kivétel van, ő pedig Audrey lenne. A helyzetükön az sem segít, hogy kettejük termei egymás mellett vannak, így szinte lehetetlenség elkerülniük egymást.
Audrey már tűkön ülve várja a nyarat, hiszen ezzel végre eljön számára az az időszak is, amikor nem kell minden egyes nap összefutnia Noah-val. Azonban a Lindale igazgatója váratlan bejelentést tesz: az olaszországi tanulmányi utazás diákjai kísérők nélkül maradtak, és szükség lenne két önként jelentkezőre, akik a diákokkal tartanak a három hetes utazásra. Noah és Audrey is jelentkezik kísérőtanárnak, azonban egyikük sem menne szívesen a másikkal, viszont mivel egyikük sem hajlandó visszalépni, ezért kénytelenek ezt az utat együtt tölteni.
Hogyan fog hatni ez az olaszországi kirándulás kettejük kapcsolatára? Megtudhatjátok, ha elolvassátok R. S. Grey Enemies Abroad című alkotását.

“Go to hell.”
He stretches his hand out for me to take. “Gladly, if only you’ll come with me.”
 
Ugye fentebb már megemlítettem, hogy sajnos ennek a könyvnek nem sikerült felülmúlnia a várakozásaimat, de mielőtt még belemerülnék abba, hogy miért is nem nyerte el annyira a tetszésemet, szeretném kiemelni, hogy mik voltak a kötet erősségei.
A történet fő koncepciója tökéletes volt, nagyszerű kiindulópontja volt a cselekménynek. Imádtam ezt az elképzelést, ezért is vártam már annyira izgatottan, hogy végre belevethessem magam ennek a regénynek az olvasásába.
Kifejezetten szórakoztatónak, és néhol aranyosnak találtam az Audrey és Noah között lezajló szócsatákat. A gyerekekkel közös jeleneteik is igencsak humorosra sikeredtek, csak azt sajnáltam, hogy ezekből nem volt több, így sajnos az olvasás során nem igazán tudjuk jobban megismerni a gyerkőcöket.
 
(…) I’ve had exactly zero meet cutes with eligible men. All the elevators I step onto are in perfect working order. Every bakery I visit is owned by some middle-aged mom, not a hunk who quit his big-time attorney job to pursue his love for patisserie. I peruse the aisles at grocery stores and never accidentally reach for the same bunch of bananas as my high school crush who happens to be back home so he can take care of his ailing grandmother. I mean, where’s the justice in this world.
 
Ezt a könyvet R. S. Grey írónő úgy harangozta be, mint egy ellenségekből-szeretők témájú történetet. Viszont miután a kötet végére értem, volt egy olyan érzésem, hogy ez egy kicsit sok. Én Audrey-t és Noah-t nem illetném az „ellenségek” szócskával, ők egyszerűen csak nem kedvelték egymást, és ennyi az egész, de ettől még nem gondolnám, hogy már egyből ellenségek is lettek. Az ilyen típusú regényeknél szerintem fontos az, hogy igencsak nyomós ok legyen arra, hogy ellenségként gondoljanak a karakterek egymásra, viszont szerintem ez az Enemies Abroad esetében nem valósult meg.
És ha már ennél tartunk, voltak olyan pillanatok, amikor Audrey borzasztóan gyerekesen viselkedett. ! SPOILER VESZÉLY ! Vegyük például azt, amikor ő és Noah legelső alkalommal csókolóznak. A szívem majd megszakadt Noah-ért ennél a jelenetnél, őszintén nem értettem Audrey kirohanását, én azt hittem, hogy ennek sokkal jobb kimenetele lesz. ! VÉGE A SPOILER RÉSZLEGNEK !
 
(Audrey) What if he says we can’t stay in our classrooms side by side anymore?
(Noah) We’ll chain ourselves to the chalkboards.
 
A dialógusok kis mennyisége hatalmas hiányérzetet keltett bennem. Gyakorlatilag az esetek többségében csupán a főhősnő belső monológjait követhetjük végig, és én ezeket nagyon hamar eluntam. Bevallom, gyakran csak gyorsan átfutottam őket, egyszerűen vágytam arra, hogy végre valaki megszólaljon, és ne csak ezeket a mérhetetlenül hosszú leíró részeket olvashassam.
A vége felé nekem az nagyon nem tetszett, hogy elég sok időbeli ugrást adott a történethez az írónő. Volt, hogy konkrétan egy teljes hetet egyetlen egy mondattal le is tárgyalt. Értem én, hogy egy három hetes utazás minden egyes pillanatáról nem írhat, de ez nekem nagyon elkapkodottnak tűnt.
Az időbeli ugrások és a belső monológok gyakorisága miatt szerintem Audrey és Noah kapcsolata nagyon elsietettnek tűnik. Ennek eredményeképpen pedig szerintem sok olyan pillanatot elveszítettünk, amelyek során még jobban megismerhettük volna őket, és azt is, hogy párként hogyan is működnek együtt. A kapcsolatuk kialakításánál szükség lett volna több időre. Az ellenségekből-szeretők szerintem tipikusan az a történetfajta, amit nem szabadna elkapkodni. Én úgy vélem, hogy igenis szükség van arra, hogy láthassuk, ahogyan a kettejük között kialakult utálat szépen lassan átalakul valami mássá. Ezt a folyamatot elsietni szerintem az egyik legrosszabb döntés.
Egy gyors megjegyzés: ha éppen egy olyan romantikus regényt kerestek, amelyben sok intim pillanat olvasható, akkor az Enemies Abroad nem a legjobb választás számotokra. Ebben a regényben zárt ajtók mögött zajlanak le ezek a jelenetek, vagyis részletesen nem olvashatunk róluk. Én ezt egyáltalán nem bántam, engem ez nem szokott zavarni, de úgy gondoltam, érdemes lenne ezt is megemlítenem, hátha van köztetek olyan, aki most nem szívesen olvasna ilyen történetet.
 
The girl who calls me dumb-dumb is apparently the one for me.
 
Mindent figyelembe véve, R. S. Grey Enemies Abroad című alkotása szerintem egy egészen szórakoztató, de sajnálatos módon csak egyszer olvasós könyv lett. Ha egy kicsivel több párbeszéd, és sokkal kevesebb belső monológ, valamint időbeli ugrás lett volna benne, akkor szerintem csak még jobb lett volna.
Értékelés: 3 csillag


 
Enemies Abroad by R. S. Grey | Book profile
Publishing date: January 20th, 2022
Blurb:
It’s  simple: Noah Peterson and I are enemies. Our fellow teachers know it, our friends know it — even the Starbucks drive-through lady knows it since every Monday she scrawls the name A. Hole for me on Noah’s cappuccino when I pick up the weekly group order.
The shrill whine of the school bell announces the start of each day’s no-holds-barred grudge match. Since neither of us is looking to get fired or thrown in prison, we war with our words and our wits. We prefer banter that bites. All day, I’m on edge, looking around every corner, expecting him to do his worst. Just when I think I can’t take the sight of his (regretfully) handsome face for one more minute, the school day is done.
Summer usually offers the sweetest relief—a two-month Noah detox—but not this year.
“We need two volunteers to chaperone a group of eighth graders in Rome” becomes a game of chicken neither one of us is willing to lose. We both want that bonus check.
“Back out,” I tell him.
“Scared?” he taunts.
No one thinks it’s a good idea for us to go to Rome together, least of all me. Taking this battle abroad will only lead to mayhem and misery.
DING. Ladies and gentlemen of flight UA447 with service to Rome, fasten your seatbelts.
We’re bound to have a bumpy ride.
 
 
I really enjoy R. S. Greys romance novels. Her stories are always light, full of cute and romantic scenes, and I can always count on them to brighten my day, many of her books quickly landed on my favourites list. I was so thrilled when she announced that her newest release would be Enemies Abroad. My eyes were elate with happiness as I was reading its blurb, I could not wait to finally be able to read this story that sounded super fantastic. I am a huge fan of the enemies-to-lovers trope, so after I read her announcement post, I instantly added Enemies Abroad to my TBR list.
I basically dropped everything to start reading it, I was happy, I was super excited, but unfortunately I must say that it did not live up to my expectations.
 
“My students love me.”
It’s true.
Noah is only one class over and we share a wall. I hear every time he makes his class laugh.
Still, for a good show, I grunt in disbelief and tilt my head so I can look into his breathtakingly hideous brown eyes.
“They only laugh at your jokes because they feel bad for you.”
“I’m hilarious.”
“You mispronounced annoying.”
 
The heroine of Enemies Abroad is Audrey Cohen, who is a middle school English teacher at Lindale. Audrey loves her profession, and she tries to do anything to make her students and co-workers adore her. She likes planning and organizing, she prefers if everything is going according to her plans, yet an unexpected trip to Italy basically kicks her out of her comfort zone.
Noah Peterson also works as a teacher at Lindale, however, his main goal is to spread knowledge about math. He is typically the fun type of teacher, and his students and co-workers do like him a lot. Well, except for one, and that would be Audrey. What makes their situation worse is the fact that their classrooms are side by side, so it is basically impossible to avoid meeting each other.
Audrey is eagerly looking forward to the summer break because that means she will not have to see Noah until the next school year rolls around. But before that can happen, the principal of Lindale makes an announcement that no one was ready for: they need two volunteers who will chaperone a group of eight grade student on their three week long educational trip in Rome. Noah and Audrey both offer to go with the kids, but they do not want to go together. Neither of them is willing to back down, so they are bound to spend a few weeks together.
What kind of effect does this trip have on their relationship? You can find out if you read Enemies Abroad by R. S. Grey.
 
“Go to hell.”
He stretches his hand out for me to take. “Gladly, if only you’ll come with me.”
 
As I have already mentioned above, sadly I can not label this book as one of my newest favourites, but before I list you the things that bothered me, let me tell you what I liked in Enemies Abroad.
The main concept is perfect. It was an awesome starting point for the story, I adored this idea, this is why I was super excited for this book.
I actually really liked the banter between Noah and Audrey, it was funny and sometimes cute, their scenes with the kids were also entertaining, I just wish we had more of those so we have gotten to know them better.
 
(…) I’ve had exactly zero meet cutes with eligible men. All the elevators I step onto are in perfect working order. Every bakery I visit is owned by some middle-aged mom, not a hunk who quit his big-time attorney job to pursue his love for patisserie. I peruse the aisles at grocery stores and never accidentally reach for the same bunch of bananas as my high school crush who happens to be back home so he can take care of his ailing grandmother. I mean, where’s the justice in this world.
 
Enemies Abroad was advertised by R. S. Grey as an enemies-to-lovers one, however, by the time I reached the end of Audrey and Noahs story, I felt that it was a bit too much. I would not say that they were enemies, they just simply did not like each other, but I do not think that this made them enemies. From my personal standpoint, novels with this theme have to have a really good reason so the characters can really refer to each other as enemies, and that was missing from this book.
And while we are at it, I think Audrey acted childish many, many times. ! SPOILER ALERT ! For instance, let me say a few words about the first kiss of Noah and Audrey. My heart broke for Noah, I felt sorry for him, I honestly did not understand why Audrey acted this way, I thought this kiss would finally lead to something happier. ! END OF THE SPOILER SECTION !
 
(Audrey) What if he says we cant stay in our classrooms side by side anymore?
(Noah) Well chain ourselves to the chalkboards.
 
While I was reading this book, I felt that there werent enough dialogues in it. Practically, a big chunk of this story is made up by the heroines inner monologues, and I quickly got bored of them. To be completely honest, I skimmed most of these, I just simply needed someone to talk, in my opinion, these long descriptions took a lot away from the reading experience.
Another aspect of the writing that bothered me is time jumps. There were so many of these near the end of the story. Like literally, she skipped a whole week with one single sentence. Before starting this book, I was fully aware of the fact that she can not write about every single second of the trip, but this just made the pacing so rushed.
Because of the frequency of time jumps and inner monologues, we do not get a lot of information about the characters, and I felt that the relationship of Audrey and Noah was also rushed. As a result, we were robbed of scenes during which we could have gotten to know them better individually and as a couple too. If you ask me, she should have spent more time on the development of their relationship. Personally I belive that enemies-to-lovers is a trope that really needs time and should not be rushed. We need to see that the hate between the main characters slowly develops into something beautiful. Rushing this process is a huge mistake to make.
Just a quick note: if you are looking for a book with lots of steamy scenes in it, this will not be the perfect choice for you. Enemies Abroad has fade to black, closed door scenes. It did not bother me, I actually do not mind it, but I thought it would be a good idea to mention it in case some of you are looking for a spicy read.
 
The girl who calls me dumb-dumb is apparently the one for me.
 
Taking everything into account, Enemies Abroad by R. S. Grey is quite an entertaining book, but unfortunately it is not a reread worthy one. The idea for the story of Audrey and Noah was super awesome, I just wish she added a lot more dialogues, a lot less inner monologues and time jumps to it. If she did that, I think it would have been a pretty fun book.
Final rating: 3 stars

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése